Above: Construction of the
Ambassador Bridge began with the U.S. tower on March
31, 1928 and was completed on July 14 of that same year.
Work on the Canadian tower started April 20, 1928 and
was finished July 27.
In the middle photo, taken on September 12, 1928, the
bridge has really started to take shape. Metal beams,
prefabricated in Rankin, Pennsylvania, were lifted by
crane from barges in the Detroit River.In the far right
photo, taken from the American side in September, 1928,
the span nears completion.
Right: Almost done September
27, 1929 looking towards Sandwich.
To mark the beginning of construction of the bridge
on the Canadian side, a special ceremony was held. Hundreds
of people gathered in the pouring rain to see Sandwich
Mayor Alexander McKee drive a stake into the ground
at Riverside Drive and Huron Church Road to mark the
site of the borings.
Photos: the Detroit International
Bridge Company (Ambassador Bridge)