To The Market We Go...
Windsor’s city market was humming with activity in this
1912 photo- note the mixture of cars and horse-drawn wagons at the old
wooden structure, replaced by a brick building in 1929. North America’s
first farmers’ markets imitated ones from our European ancestors;
farmers came into town on horse-drawn wagons to sell their produce to
city-folk. The Windsor market was located on this site from 1877 until
it was torn down to make way for the Windsor Casino. The market was relocated
to Walker Road and Ottawa Street.