life and times
hiram who
birth of the auto
border cities
sports heritage

Below are postcards from the colour section from our 3rd Annual Photo Issue (April/May 2004). Look for the issue on stands to see many more vintage local photos!

Windsor's first Public High School opened in 1873. This school seems to have evolved from the old Sandwich Grammar School and later became Patterson Collegiate (on Goyeau and Elliot). It remained the only Public High School in Windsor until the 1920s when Walkerville, Lowe, Kennedy, and Forester were built. Patterson was demolished around 1975 to make way for a grocery store.

(Source: Photo from the Tim Baxter postcard collection (Flashbacks).

Construction of Hotel Dieu Hospital began in the outskirts of Windsor (Ouellette and Erie) on October 10, 1888 and the official blessing took place on Sunday, October 15, 1889; it opened in February, 1890. The building was of Norman style architecture with three turrets and the total cost was approximately $40,000. The three-story brick building had a capacity of 100 beds. It was demolished in 1963 when the new hospital was built.

(Source: Photo from the Tim Baxter postcard collection (Flashbacks)

Elegantly attired Windsorites boarding street cars on Sandwich Street looking east (now Riverside Drive) in the early 1900’s.

Photo from the Tim Baxter postcard collection (Flashbacks).

An early 1900’s photo of Bob-Lo Island bathing beach. The French originally called the island "Bois Blanc" because of the many birch, beech, or white-barked poplar trees that dotted the area. As English settlers became more numerous, the name was eventually unintentionally modified to "Bob-Lo" by persons that mispronounced the French name. In the 1980s that name came to be converted to the present spelling of "Boblo” and in the 1990’s, Boblo was converted to residential

(Source: Photo from the Tim Baxter postcard collection (Flashbacks).

Windsor Driving Park was located in Jackson Park. The clubhouse was moved to the east side of McDougall just south of Windsor Stadium and became the Chrymoto Club.

Photo from the Tim Baxter postcard collection (Flashbacks).

Click here to go back to the home page.



©1999-2015— Walkerville Publishing — All Rights Reserved