Heritage Awards in Walkerville
become a tradition for the Windsor Architectural Conservancy Advisory
Committee (WACAC) to honour owners of selected heritage properties
in the city of Windsor with Built Heritage Awards.
be a recipient of this prestigious award, handed out every February,
the owner of a heritage property must have been dedicated to restoring
and/or maintaining his or her property while retaining historical
year, three of the seven recipients are owners of properties
in Old Walkerville.
at the corner of Gladstone and Wyandotte St. E., is a two-story
red brick commercial building. At one time it housed a general store
owned by the Burstyn family. Today, owners Kevin and Leslie Donald
operate a poster framing service out of the ground floor.
in 1915, the building is an excellent example of early 20th century
traditional commercial buildings. The upper front façade
boasts a large bay window with a conical roof; to the east is a
small arched window opening topped by decorative brick work and
a keystone. The storefront is composed primarily of large display
windows with a deeply recessed entranceway.
second Walkerville recipient of the award is another commercial
building located at 1701 Wyandotte E. Three stories high, this structure
was built in 1908 at the corner of Wyandotte and Windermere in the
Beaux Arts Classical Revival Style by contractor Victor Williamson.
the Home Bank of Walkerville (thought to be the only Canadian Bank
to declare bankruptcy - c. 1927) the building is owned by Darlene
Bennett and currently houses two hair and beauty salons, an interior
design service, and several apartments. While changes have been
made to the lower part of the building and an undated addition has
extended the rear of building, the building retains its massive
overhanging dentilled cornice and flat headed windows with keystones.
third Walkerville property is a red brick residential home owned
by Carol and Bill Lester at 841 Kildare.
the last decade, the Lesters, who are the fourth owners of the home,
have completely restored it. Built in 1904 for Albert Meirs, Secretary/Treasurer
of the Walkerville Malleable Iron Co., who also served as a local
magistrate as well as Walkerville Town councillor, the house is
a good example of the quality homes built during a period of rapid
expansion in the Town of Walkerville in the first decade of the
four other recognized Windsor properties include a mixed use building
at 212-248 Erie West built in 1922 and owned by Masen and Barbara
Younan, the Art Decco style Bell Canada Building at 1149 Goyeau,
the law offices of Frank Miller and A. Thomas Costaris at 518 Victoria,
built around 1900, and Sandwich Town Hall, built in 1912 and now
an apartment building owned by Douglas Whaley and Lauren Bityk.
Walkerville Times salutes all award recipients; they have proven
that old buildings can be indeed be given a new lease on life.
Page | Previous Page