First Apartment House
the need for an apartment house in Walkerville, land developer Charles
Chilver (Chilver Road is named for him) erected the Grier Apartments
on the corner of Chilver (then known as Victoria Road) and Riverside
Drive (Sandwich St.) in 1918.
to be "the most modern and up-to-date structure of its kind in this
vicinity", the two-story brick building was erected for $18,000
and housed a doctor's office in addition to 14 apartments containing
5 to 6 large rooms. The interior finish is of Georgia pine on the
Chilver side and oak in the apartments facing Riverside. Smith &
Walker were the architects of the building.
Grier apartment has been very well preserved; the apartments are
in excellent condition. The craftsmanship is evident in the construction
of the building, as evidenced by the entrance door. Now that the
Peabody Bridge is gone, drivers and pedestrians are able to get
a proper view of the building and the tenants are once again able
to enjoy the magnificent skyline and traffic on the Detroit River.
Rebirth of the Tivoli