the Historic Strathcona
for the Walkerville Land & Building Co. in 1907, the Strathcona
Building on Wyandotte at Devonshire was known as "the new Walker
block". In April 1907, two established businesses moved in
F. J. Miller, the druggist, and R.A. Holland, the dry-goods
merchant, both from the Crown Inn (still standing in the 300 block
of Devonshire Road). The Walkerville Hardware Co. occupied a large
part of the main floor, and the second floor was devoted to the
Walkerville Public Library until 1922.
two-story brick building with timber-framed oriel windows is notable
for its low profile, accented with decorative gables. The street
entrances have cut stone surrounds.
is the only building of its type in Walkerville, designed by eminent
American architect Albert Kahn. The original safe remains in the
building and has been retrofitted to accommodate ICONs database
which can be safely locked up as required. ICON plans to renovate
the facade of the building at some point in the future.
learn more about Albert Kahns influence on Walkerville, click