the four houses south of St. Mary's Gate on Kildare Road, two are
credited to Albert Kahn - the Andrew Ridout house, 873 (c. 1906),
and the Stephen A. Griggs house, 889 (c. 1905-07). Walkerville’s
premier building contractor, Victor Williamson, constructed his
own residence, The Cobbles, on the road's curve, and chose fieldstone
and slate for the massive structure.
identity of the architect for the fourth house, 863 (c. 1908), is
unknown, but it was commissioned by William Grant, manager of the
Parke Davis pharmaceuticals plant. 873 Kildare, built of brick and
stucco, has dormer windows similar to those employed by Kahn in
the Town Hall. The house, first occupied by Andrew Ridout, was built
to accommodate managers of the Bank of Commerce.
here to read about The Cobbles.