Chandler Walker, Hiram Walker's second son, moved into his elegant
Edwardian mansion in 1906. The name Willistead is a memorial to
his older brother, Willis, who died in 1886.
imposing residence was designed by Albert Kahn during his early
period of major domestic architecture. The imported woodwork was
carved by Bohemian artisans and Scottish stonemasons cut the stone
quarried at Amherstburg. Leaded glass windows, a heavy oak door,
and clay-tile roof suggest the attention to interior detail.
attendant Gate House and Coach House combine with the landscape
to demonstrate a unity of design. Mrs. Walker was widowed in 1915
and, having no heirs, donated the 15 1/2 acre estate to the people
of Walkerville in 1921.
restoration in 1978-1981, Willistead Manor served as Town Council
chambers, public library and the Art Gallery of Windsor. It is now
owned by the City of Windsor and hosts special events.
Hon. Paul Martin, Sr. Garden is a recent enhancement of the property.
The stone and iron fence which surrounds the property was designed
by architects Stahl Kinsey & Chapman in 1914. A walk through the
Willistead Park leads to Richmond Street (formerly Huron Street)
and two more houses of interest. Edgewood, 1857 Richmond (c. 1914-1916),
was designed by Albert Kahn for Col. and Mrs. Brewster, the sister
and brother-in-law of Mrs. E. C. Walker.
It was later owned by Wallace Campbell, President, Ford Motor Co.
of Canada. The Peter Dewar house, 1941 Richmond , was designed by
Windsor architect David John Cameron in 1923. Turning southward
on Devonshire Road past Walkerville Collegiate, designed by James
Pennington and John Boyde in 1922, a number of interesting, architecturally
distinctive houses may be seen.
here to read more about Willistead